Edition 4: May 2007.
Welcome to the fourth THORNBURY IN BLOOM Newsletter produced to keep you and everyone in Thornbury in touch with what is going on and how you can provide help and support. If you have received this on behalf of a group or Organisation please pass it on, display it on a notice board or read out its contents at your meetings. We want everyone in Thornbury to feel part of our campaign!
• At the time of writing we are all frantically busy preparing hanging baskets, troughs and flowerbeds. Not long now before we see our town at its very best.
• A BIG THANK-YOU to the many companies and individuals that have sponsored our campaign by giving their time or by donating cash. It is much appreciated and will be put to good use, HOWEVER there are more projects we would like to undertake and more donations would make this possible.
• The large trees in the Mundy playing field are now planted and growing well. We have some sponsors but please remember that there is the opportunity to sponsor a tree in memory of a loved one or on behalf of your company or organisation to show your support of the town and our commitment to making it a better place to live.
• LOOK OUT! As soon as we know the date for judging we will be appealing for help with last minute weeding and litter picking. All help will be gratefully received and give support to the small and overworked band of volunteers that regularly turn out to help!
• DON'T FORGET there is a painting competition for all Primary school age children in the area. The theme is "My Favourite Flower" entries can be submitted via your school or direct to the Town Hall. Make sure your child's name, age and contact details are clearly shown on the back.
• LOCAL GARDEN COMPETITONS. The local competitions are a very important part of our campaign and we need lots of people to join in. DO NOT BE SHY! If you enjoy your front garden or house frontage and you have lots of plants that are on view from the road-PLEASE enter our competition. Entry forms will be available from the Town Hall, Thornbury Garden Shop, T & J Owens or on the website. Also if you have a friend or neighbour with a good garden please feel free to nominate them and we will contact them to ask if they would like to join in the fun!
• ONE LAST REQUEST- PHOTOGRAPHS- if you have any good photos of the town showing flowers, trees shrubs, wildlife or local community groups working on "green projects" and you would be willing to let us use them please either E-mail them to or take copies on paper or CD into the Town Hall.
**Remember only about 5 weeks to judging - every bit of help is needed to ensure we win A Gold medal again and achieve that elusive "Top of the category" award!**
For more information or to offer help, support or ideas or to subscribe to this newsletter please contact Sue Aitken, Thornbury In Bloom. Tel: 01454 419350 or email
If you would like to talk over an idea please talk to any member of our “In Bloom Team” or call into Thornbury Garden Shop to see Sue Aitken or the Town Hall to see Sue Horsfall.