3rd Thornbury Scout Group
3rd Thornbury was formed in 1977 and still has a thriving Beaver Scout Colony, Cub Scout Pack and Scout Troop today.
We welcome new members, boys and girls aged between 6 and 14 years to join in with our active and varied weekly programmes.
Our leaders are keen to put the "OUT" in SCOUTING and run regular residential experiences with "Sleep Overs" in a hall and indoor accommodation or camping under canvas.
Beavers activities include:
- Outdoor visits to local farms and Pond dipping in local streams
- Guest speakers, e.g. from the Emergency Services
- Know your way around Thornbury
- Visit our local National Scout Camp site at Woodhouse Park
- Cooking without heat along with a variety of craft work
- Participation in Badge work
Cubs activities include:
- Participation in Cotswold Edge District and Avon Scout County events, such as Camps and Jamborees
- Annual Cub Pack camp in a variety of venues, which have included, Youlbury in Oxfordshire, Cranham in Gloucestershire and Woodhouse Park, South Glos
- Local visits, e.g. Thornbury Museum, Town Heritage Trail etc.
- Food preparation and cooking in the kitchen in the hall or over candles or outdoors on open fires in the grounds outside the hall
- Guest speakers on First Aid , Water safety by the RNLI and local historians talking about old Thornbury
- Participation in a variety of Badge work including, DIY, Local Knowledge, Map reader etc.
- Games both individual and team work are a regular feature
Having been closed for nearly 2 years the Scout Troop reactivated in September 2012 with parents' support alongside uniformed leaders from our other sections.
Their recent activities include:
- Cooking on two burner bottle gas stoves
- Visit to Thornbury sports centre for Badminton, Squash and Table tennis
- Air rifle shooting at Woodhouse Park
- Bicycle safety and maintenance
- Maps and map reading
- To name but a few...
We meet on Wednesday evenings in school term time:
- Beavers: 18:00 – 19:15
- Cubs: 18:00 – 19:30
- Scouts: 19:30 – 21:00
Our fees are among the lowest in the district.
We do expect you to come and support the leaders for at least one night a year as part of our parent rota.
It's a great opportunity to see what your children get up to.
We prefer initial contact via email to our Group Scout Leader, Peter French at: or for the Beaver Scout waiting list, Heather Thompson at:
We have historically had a full complement of leaders and helpers in each section.
We are also numerically strong with a waiting list, playing a full part in District (Cotswold Edge formerly Severn Vale District) and County events.
We currently run an active and varied weekly programme for Beaver Scouts aged 6 to 8 years, Cub Scouts 8 to 10½ years and Scouts aged 10½ to 14 years.
For more information on The Scout Association please visit: www.scouts.org.uk
- Group Scout Leader Peter French Tel. 07817 871 459
- Assistant Group Scout Leader Tony Cockwell Tel. 01454 413116
- Scout Leader Richard Hopwood Ford Bennett Tel. 07868 429038
- Cub Scout Leader Viv Heyes Tel. 01454 850824
- Beaver Scout Leader Heather Thompson Tel. 07825 381180
- Group Executive Chairman Richard Gillett Tel. 01454 414050